Rudi Völler has a lot of praise for Niklas Süle’s fitness – and raises the hopes of the German international for the European Championship. Anthony Modeste talks about his future. Marco Reus and Paul-Philipp Besong show a gala in the test match. News and rumors about Borussia Dortmund can be found here.
BVB, News: Völler’s praise gives Süle hope
“It’s great that Niklas worked on his fitness so much on vacation,” said Rudi Völler, praising Niklas Süle’s new form. Niklas Süle’s improved fitness level at the start of the preparations doesn’t come as a surprise to everyone. The DFB sports director reports in an interview with Picturethat Süle’s management had already informed him about the extra shifts on vacation.
In his new form, he could also become a candidate for the German selection again: “It all sounds very good. If the conditions are right, everyone will benefit from it: Borussia Dortmund and the national team,” Völler is already looking ahead. “We are delighted that he has shown exactly the reaction we had hoped for from him.” But there’s no rest: “Now he has to keep at it!” Völler appealed to Süle. Next summer, the home World Cup is waiting for Hansi Flick and his DFB squad – possibly with Niklas Süle again.
BVB, News: Modeste talks about his future plan
After the year at Borussia Dortmund, Anthony Modeste is far from over. “Two to three years” he plans to play professional football, says the striker Picture-Interview. If there’s a chance, he would “Of course!” continue playing in the German upper house. “I like the Bundesliga – it suits my style of play.”
However, Modeste was unable to provide any information about his short-term future. “At the moment I don’t know how things will continue,” reports the ex-Dortmunder. A return to 1. FC Köln is currently not in the room. “FC and I have not been in contact to discuss the possibility of a return,” explains Modeste. This also applies to his follow-up contract as a striker coach, which he signed in Cologne: “It ended when I left.”
Although he does not rule out a move to a Saudi club – “99 percent of the players” would accept such offers, according to Modeste – he does not believe that he will receive such offers. So that’s not an issue for him.
He doesn’t see his move to Borussia Dortmund as a mistake. “If you compare the number of goals, the ratio was obviously higher in Cologne,” he explains, explaining his understanding of this view, but “they are two different teams, two different playing styles and squads.” He learned a lot in the past season at BVB – about “football, teamwork and myself”.
BVB, News: Reus and Besong Gala in the first test
On Wednesday evening Borussia Dortmund completed its first test against SV Westfalia Rhynern – with a strong result. First, ex-captain Marco Reus scored two absolute dream goals before he put on a goal for youngster Julian Rijkhoff. Then young striker Paul-Philipp Besong copied the Reus statistics and scored twice himself before putting the 7-0 up on Prince Aning. Central defender Hendry Blank scored to make it 6:0.
Newcomer Ramy Bensebaini is still on vacation with the national team. Felix Nmecha was in the stadium but didn’t play – he just sat in the stands. Meanwhile, Mateu Morey celebrated his comeback in the first half after a long injury break. Niklas Süle was the captain of the first round, after which Mats Hummels took over the armband. It is not yet clear who will take over the position next season.
Here is the match report of the first test match.
BVB: Borussia Dortmund’s friendlies in preparation for the summer