Borussia Mönchengladbach loses its top performers Marcus Thuram and Ramy Bensebaini. Sports director Roland Virkus confirmed this in an interview on the Bundesliga club’s website.
“We were in open contact with both players and knew the current status. It’s a shame that they won’t extend their expiring contracts because both have given us a lot in the past four years,” said Virkus.
In the past few years it has always been part of our path to get such talented players, to develop them further – and at some point to let them go because we can’t keep them forever,” Virkus explained: “Ideally, we can achieve an attractive one with these transfers Transfer fee. Of course it’s not good that that’s not the case now.”
Algerian full-back Bensebaini is associated with Borussia Dortmund, while striker Thuram has been on the list in particular for top Italian and English clubs. Gladbach had already confirmed on Wednesday that longtime captain Lars Stindl would leave the club at the end of the season.
While Stindl has a great standing with the fans, Bensebaini and Thuram repeatedly drew the supporters’ displeasure. Virkus still hopes that the fans will support the two until the end of the season. “Both lads are players who can make the difference,” he said: “Both have helped us sportingly in recent years and are still doing so now. That’s why they deserve a stylish farewell, despite their justified disappointment.”