Bundesliga club Werder Bremen can continue to plan with at least part of their successful goalscoring duo: courted center forward Marvin Ducksch has extended his contract. The new working paper is said to run until 2026 plus an option for another season. On the other hand, Werder are still waiting for a decision on their congenial strike partner Niclas Füllkrug.
Ducksch (29) had aroused the interest of some clubs with twelve goals and eight assists last season. There was also an exit clause of seven million euros in his contract until mid-June. Despite lucrative offers from Saudi Arabia, among others, the center forward has now decided to remain on the Weser.
“I have always said that I feel very comfortable at Werder. We have developed well with the team in the last two seasons. I would like to continue to be part of this development,” said Ducksch. “In the last two years, the attacker has played a major role in enabling us to achieve our goals,” added sporting director Clemens Fritz. Werder had already set an example with the transfer of Naby Keita.
On the other hand, the future of national player Füllkrug, who was the top scorer in the Bundesliga with 16 goals last season, is still open. The 30-year-old has received an offer from Werder to extend his contract, which expires in 2025. At the moment, “there is still little to suggest that Werder will be leaving,” kicker wrote on Tuesday.
“We are in good talks, which we will continue,” Fritz told kicker. There is no deadline, but “of course it would be good for everyone involved to have clarity early on,” says Fritz. You have to “see what happens in the next few weeks”.