Borussia Dortmund and midfielder Mahmoud Dahoud are going their separate ways in the summer. This was confirmed by BVB sports director Sebastian Kehl on Monday Picture.
“I had a very open and honest conversation with Mo last week. I informed him that we would not be renewing his contract in the summer,” said Kehl.
Dahoud is currently not in second place under coach Edin Terzic. The two-time national player has been out for a long time this season due to a shoulder injury and has only played six competitive games, with the 27-year-old often coming off the bench.
“Mo has been with us for six years now, he’s a very good footballer and I really have a very high opinion of him on a sporting and personal level. Nevertheless, we decided to take this step,” explained Kehl. During Dahoud’s injury, “other players took their chance”.
With a view to the expiring contracts of 2014 world champion Mats Hummels and international Marco Reus, he has “nothing to report” so far, said Kehl. The club and the players are in an “open and honest exchange”.
With the English national player Jude Bellingham, who is still tied to the club until 2025, there are currently “no new talks, let alone inquiries for him,” Kehl also reported, adding: “Jude still has two years of contract and is a very important one part of this team, which is why I naturally wish that he would continue to play for BVB.”