The new sports director Sebastian Kehl finally wants to give the Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund the right mentality. “It was important for us to get a feeling: How do the boys think? How do they feel? How do they deal with difficult situations?” Kehl said on Monday at the training camp in Bad Ragaz/Switzerland about the summer arrivals.
After the first part of the upheaval there will be no grace period. “We will be challenged very, very quickly, we will have to grow together quickly,” warned Kehl, but: “The newcomers are all really up for it, I have the feeling that many of them have been there longer than just a few days.”
BVB has signed the three German national players Karim Adeyemi, Niklas Süle and Kevin Schlotterbeck, among others, and the commitment of the new top striker Sebastien Haller from Ajax Amsterdam recently caused a stir.
On the sales side, however, nothing has happened yet – that should change. “We have an exciting squad that is very competitive in one position or another and can still be reduced in one place or another,” he said.
From time to time, Michael Zorc’s successor also looks at rival Bayern Munich: “Mathijs de Ligt’s signing shows that they are spending real money to upgrade their squad. But that has no effect on us.”
Brandt rumours: “Some things are wrong”
In addition, Kehl vigorously denied talks about an alleged impending end of Julian Brandt’s time at Borussia Dortmund: “That’s not true, I read a lot that I didn’t think was right. Julian made a real step forward, he had many Goals and assists, he has big plans and wants to go to the World Cup.”
Brandt had previously told SID: “Of course I’ve heard about the story, but not everything you hear is true.” According to Sky, the new coach Edin Terzic told him that he would “no longer play a major role”. This is exactly what didn’t happen, the attacking midfielder assured: “Definitely nobody spoke to me about such topics.”